Wondering what to do on the Sunshine Coast? You'll definitely be spoiled for choice; with so many things to do, Queensland's Sunshine Coast is known for sunny weather, great beaches, fun attractions and activities, and plentiful accommodation options. Whether you are staying at Noosa, Caloundra or Mooloolaba on the Sunshine Coast, you will be sure to find plenty to do outside the room of your resort or outside the camping ground.
As for what to do on the Sunshine Coast if travelling from either overseas or interstate, make the most of your holiday and spend a day at Steve Irwins famous Australia Zoo or let the wildlife float above you at Underwater World. Another great offer for visitors combines both of these attractions in the Animal-action-pass. Explore Fraser Island with a day trip or an extended stay, then visit the Sunshine Coast hinterland out in the Glasshouse Mountains. The best way to experience all the things to do on the Sunshine Coast is to hire a car, otherwise there are plenty of transfer or tour options, especially between Brisbane and the Sunshine Coast. Also, be sure to check out our Sunshine Coast itineraries page for some suggestions on how to utilise your time there!
The Top 10 Things to Do on the Sunshine Coast
1. Surf the Sunshine Coast
South to north, there is over 70 kilometres of white surf beaches stretching across the Sunshine Coast. Visit the awesome breaks and ride the clean waves found all across this region. As this is a popular pastime on the Sunshine Coast, it is easy to find companies to rent equipment from or to book a lesson with.
- Learn to surf on the Sunshine Coast in such great locations as Coolum Beach, Mooloolaba and Noosa.
2. Get close to Australia’s native animals
Don’t miss the opportunity to cuddle with kangaroos, feed an elephant, pet a koala, watch crocodile and tiger shows, and come face to face with sharks and stingrays.
- Experience exciting encounters with native and exotic animals at Steve Irwin’s Australia Zoo.
- Meet thousands of sea creatures at Queensland’s largest oceanarium and aquarium, UnderWater World.
- Purchase an Animal Action Pass to visit both the Australia Zoo and UnderWater World.
3. Take a scenic cruise
Tour the Sunshine Coast’s beautiful river by boarding a scenic cruise.
- Enjoy a seafood lunch while you cruise the Mooloolaba Harbour, River and Canals.
- Cruise and marvel at Maroochy River’s rainforest, wildlife, and wetland views
- Board a Noosa Everglades Cruise to enjoy this pristine region, a delicious bbq lunch, and a 4WD across 40 mile beach, back to the city.
4. Have fun at the Theme Parks
- Be thrilled by the thirty plus games and rides, including the Giant Redback, at Aussie World.
- Speed around 1.2km of track in a go-kart at the Big Kart Track.
- Do a round of mini golf at Top Shots Fun Park, where the 18-hole courses are creatively designed, ride the blaster boats and climb the indoor rock wall.
5. Go fishing
There are several ideal spots for fishing along the Sunshine Coast. Join a guided fishing experience and catch yourself something big!
- Catch a fish or crab in Southeast Queensland’s cleanest river, the Noosa River.
- Take a deep sea fishing trip in a various refers along the Noosa coast.
6. Travel the waterways by kayak
- Following an expert guide, kayak for two hours around Noosa National Park and view Laguna Bay’s marine life and lava rock formations. Alternatively, rent a kayak to tour the area independently for the entire day.
- Rent a kayak by the hour rom the Maroochydore mall, the Sunshine Plaza, and freely explore the Maroochy River.
7. Try a new watersport
Get your blood pumping by trying one of the exciting watersports offered at beaches along the Sunshine Coast.
- Take a Noosa Jetboating Ride and speed through the river and into the ocean.
- Try Sunshine Coast Cable Skiing & Watersports, including wakeboarding, kneeboarding,and wakeskating.
8. Take a 4WD tour
Take a 4WD ride through the Sunshine Coast’s most beautiful and secluded areas, such as pristine beaches and rainforests.
- Tour some of Noosa’s nearby highlights, including Rainbow Beach, the Coloured Sands, 40 Mile Beach, and the sub-tropical rainforest in a full day Noosa 4WD Tour.
- Take a Rainforest Tour to see the magnificent scenery of Conondale National Park, such as spectacular gorges and waterfalls.
9. Learn to sail or go for the ride
- Go Sailing on the Sunshine Coast and cruise Sunshine Coat’s Coral Sea as a passenger or get instruction and learn to be the skipper.
10. Skydive at sunset
- Tandem Skydive from 10 000 feet in the afternoon and enjoy beautiful views of the sun setting over Sunshine Coast’s endless beaches.