Find out what to do in Melbourne here! Don't miss out on Australia's coffee capital, Melbourne - a city of culture, art and great food with unique and memorable things to do for visitors and locals alike. Venture outside your Melbourne hotel whether it's sunny or a rainy day - or even on Australia Day for an experience you will never forget around Victoria's capital.
The city is alive with fantastic restaurants, quirky cafes and charming little side streets in the CBD that will keep you busy exploring for days or take a Melbourne tour with a local if your time is short!. For the cultural minded you are in for a treat when looking for what to do in Melbourne with award winning theatre productions, shows and festivals, and be sure to take time to discover the great shopping destinations and markets.
Animal lovers will feel right at home at Melbourne zoo and be in for a treat watching the fairy penguins race up the beach at Phillip Island. Venture away from the city to find world-class vineyards at Yarra Valley and breathtaking scenery along the Great Ocean Road with the twelve apostles. Tour the major sporting venues, dive with sharks at Melbourne Aquarium, see unusual sea life on kayak, Scuba and snorkelling adventures, and take an extreme view of Melbourne from the Eureka Skydeck. Also, don't forget to check out all the great things to do in our other major regions such as Brisbane, Sydney, the Gold Coast attractions, and much more! In addition, for an overview of things to do in Victoria or an itinerary for Melbourne sightseeing, be sure to visit our Melbourne city guide pages.
The Top 10 Things to do in Melbourne
We've put together this handy list of what are, in our opinion, the top 10 things to do in Melbourne both for those are visiting or locals who may be looking for ways to spend an interesting or exciting day. Check out the list below!
1. Eureka Skydeck
Start your journey with awe inspiring views from the Southern Hemisphere's highest viewing platform. For those that dare, experience The Edge - a thrilling encounter taking you over the edge in a glass box.
2. Discover The City
Whether by bike, by bus or by foot, exploring the city of Melbourne is an absolute must. Filled with quirky alley ways, hidden shops, art galleries and theatre, it certainly earns its reputation as Australia's culture capital. Here's our pick
- Discover Melbourne's hidden secrets with a walking tour hosted by a passionate local. Stroll through beautiful lanes and arcades, take in a tour of wine tastings and food at top restaurants, view the local art, take a vintage shopping outing, discover the architecture or take the ever-essential coffee and cafe culture walk. Feel free to indulge, you can always walk it off!
- Get Pedalling on a Bike Tour to explore Melbourne's grooviest streets, parks, shops, cafes, hidden laneways and multicultural neighbourhoods.
- Do something a little different and see the sights of Melbourne from an antique Victorian horse drawn carriage.
- If a bargain puts a smile on your dial, head out on a shopping tour complete with a cafe lunch and a glass of bubbles. Uncover the best discount outlets and hidden warehouses.
- Go behind the scenes at Melbourne's world class sporting venues with a sports tour including the MCG, 2006 Commonwealth Games Village, Albert Part, Flemington Raceway, Rod Laver Arena, National Sports Museum and more!
- Melbourne's Harley Davidson Tours will make your trip unforgettable. Jump on the back or in a side car and soak up the fantastic scenery of Melbourne and its surrounds.
- For the comfort of a coach, book in on a premium sightseeing tour of Melbourne that ensures no sights are missed.
3. Get Up Close With The Wildlife
- Visit the award winning Melbourne Aquarium to discover the Antarctic penguins, the weird and wonderful sea life and be amazed by the 2.2 million litre Oceanarium. For those after something a little closer, try the shark dive
- Melbourne Zoo offers more than 320 species including our favourite gorillas, elephants, lions, meerkats and orang-utans - all only 4km from the city centre. Don't miss the Meet the Keeper presentations! For a more intimate experience, upgrade and meet the elephants up close!
- The bushland setting is perfect for Healesville Sanctuary, filled with Australia's most unique wildlife including koalas, kangaroos, emus and dingoes.
- Just 30 minutes from the city centre sits Werribee Open Range Zoo, 225 hectares of open savannah with the best of African wildlife.
4. Explore Phillip Island
Watch thousands of Little Penguins make their way to shore every night at the home of the world's largest Little Penguin colony with Penguin Parade. Be sure to visit the nearby Koala Conservation Centre, Churchill Island and The Nobbies. For entry into all Phillip Island attractions, choose the 3 Park Pass, or combine with your choice of Melbourne attractions with the Melbourne 5 in 1 Pack. Get unlimited entry into Melbourne's top attractions for 2, 3 or 7 days with a See Melbourne & Beyond Attraction Pass.
If you require transport, combine a city tour with a coach trip out to Phillip Island, or take a designated Phillip Island tour. If smaller group tours are your preferred option, there are Phillip Island and Penguin day tours available. Animal lovers will love the Penguin Skybox upgrade.
5. Hot Air Ballooning
Take a hot air balloon ride over Melbourne. Take in the beauty of the city as the sun rises and enjoy a bird’s eye view of all that you survey. If your time's limited, a helicopter flight over Melbourne is the perfect choice.
6. Explore the Queen Victoria Market
This is the Queen of all markets and the vibrant, exciting mix of cultures and ethnicities of Melbourne can be discovered here. Corner of Elizabeth and Victoria Streets. Tuesday and Thursday (6am-2pm), Friday (6am-4pm), Saturday (6am-3pm), Sunday (9am-4pm).
7. Experience The Great Ocean Road
A trip to Melbourne would not be complete without setting foot and The Great Ocean Road, one of Australia's most scenic vantage points. For those who are road savvy, the best option is to rent a car and take your time to explore the area, stopping at your leisure. A coach tour is perfect for first timers or perhaps a small group tour is preferred. Make the most of your experience with a one or two day all inclusive sightseeing tour.
8. Yarra Valley Wineries
Join a coach tour taking in the Dandenong Ranges and the Yarra Valley's most noted wine producers, or upgrade to include a ride on the historic Puffing Billy steam train. Or, opt for a small exclusive winery tour, hosted by a real wine expert taking you from cellar door to cellar door.
Take your pick of small tours that take you out to the wineries of Yarra Valley, Mornington Peninsula and Macedon Ranges.
9. Dandenong Ranges
Ride on Australia's most notable narrow gauge railway through the breathtaking Blue Dandenong Ranges. Visit the area by coach or join a smaller tour for the full Dandenong Ranges experience, or have the best of both worlds with a combined city and Dandenong Ranges tour
10. Get Beneath the Water
Experience the ultimate way to discover Port Phillip Bay with a dolphin and seal swim where you can swim with both amazing creatures in the one National Marine Park. Or, join a guided eco snorkelling adventure to discover the unique Weedy Sea Dragon colony, or take the ultimate plunge and go scuba diving for an experience you will never forget!